Thursday, August 20, 2009

Day 6: Drinking Irish Coffee with Betty

"Paul and Betty toast with an Irish Coffee. I got directions on making the perfect cup as well as 2 glasses to serve it in." -Marilynn

Although Betty has been in England for decades, she remains Irish through and through. I wasn't in her house for more than 2 minutes before she had a beer in front of me and a cranberry and gin in front of Marilynn. Cheese and crackers and cakes and pate were also put out for us. Before we left for dinner, I was also "forced" to have a shot of poteen that was brewed in Ireland and which she saves for occasions just like this. I even got to drink it out of the ceremonial Mullen Family Reunion shot glass!! After a great dinner at a restaurant on the Thames, we returned to her house for -- you guessed it -- more snacks and two glasses of Irish Coffee. Let me just say that Betty doesn't make a weak Irish Coffee!!

2 comments: